1. How does St. Matthew's account differ from St. Luke's version?
(See Matthew 5: 1-12.) (See Luke 6: 20-23.)
2. Why do you think Luke's account only has four beatitudes while Matthew's has nine?
3. What is the difference between these statements?
~Blessed are the poor.
~Blessed are the poor in spirit.
~Blessed are those who hunger.
~Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness.
After pondering and praying with these scripture verses, spend some time with the first line of each of the first two readings as well.
The prophet Zephaniah says, "Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth..."
St. Paul says to the Corinthians, "Consider your own calling, brothers and sisters."
1. How will you sincerely seek the Lord in your day-to-day life?
2. How do you discern the manner in which God is calling you to serve right now?
The Sacred Scriptures are rich. Allow God to speak to you in the depths of your heart as you ponder His Word!