When was the last time you took a tour of your local parish church? Do you understand the symbols?
1. Why is there frequently an odd number of steps leading into the sanctuary?
2. Do you know the difference between the narthex and the nave of the church?
3. What does the hexagon base of a chalice represent?
4. Why do we use votive candles?
5. Why do we use incense?
6. What is the difference between a chasuble and a dalmatic?
7. When do we use a cope?
8. When do we use a humeral veil?
9. What is an icon?
10. What is a pyx?
Those were just a few of the things I covered in the tour today and in some discussions for the preparation of the Paschal Triduum. There is so much more to tackle.
How well versed are you on the faith? Is there room to grow? Do you have the desire to pursue learning? Lent is a good time to embark on such an endeavor.
As we draw ever nearer to the season of Lent, please take some time to establish your plan of action for this holy season. Keep in mind the three areas of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving as you make your plans:
1. How will you pray during your Lenten journey? Will you pray with more frequency, fervor, etc.? Will you combine fasting with your prayer?
2. What will you study? What do you want to learn? (Would fasting from TV or the internet help in this endeavor?)
3. How will you serve others? How will you give of your time, talent, and treasure to build up the Kingdom of God? (Almsgiving)
Blessings and peace as you prepare for this holy season!