These men who had left their nets to follow Jesus and become "fishers of men" were now experiencing chaos, confusion, and immense grief. What were they going to do? In modern times I hear people speak about the difficulty of discerning God's will in their lives. Can you imagine the lack of clarity the disciples must have been feeling during these hours of the Lord's passion and death?
Holy Week is a good time to ponder. Here are some reflection questions.
1. What is the process you follow in discerning God's will for your life?
2. How does prayer impact your decision-making process on a daily basis?
3. How do you respond when there is a lack of clarity?
4. Are you willing to stand by the Lord when the going gets tough?
5. Are you able to name some specific examples related to question 4?
6. In what ways have you experienced God searching for you?
7. In what ways are you persistent in prayer?
8. How has the Eucharist nourished you for mission?
9. What are the things in your life that you place before God?
10. How do you live out the Beatitudes in a concrete way?
Please don't miss the beauty of these days during Holy Week. God is calling each of us deeper. Let us cast our net into the deep and trust in the Lord's extravagant grace.