I will be honest. My first reaction when I saw the photo was, "Friday! I made it. I am crushing it." (Okay, I at least survived it.)
I led a prayer service last night at the Cold Weather Shelter for one of our guests who had been killed in an accident earlier in the week. It was about 9:00 pm when I returned home. I was back in the office just after 7:00 am this morning to be prepared for an 8:00 am meeting (which was unexpectedly canceled). My tired body did not look as powerful as Superman, but it was celebrating the achievement of making it to Friday.
My thoughts then became a little more serious. The Season of Advent never seems to grasp the attention that the Season of Lent does. However, it is an opportune time for us to reflect upon our spiritual journey. Are we truly preparing the way of the Lord in our day-to-day lives? Lent has a more penitential aspect to it than Advent, but Advent still invites us to a deeper spirituality that can be attained through penitential acts.
1. Did your prayer life change in any way during this first week of Advent?
2. Did works of mercy occupy any more of your time this week than usual?
3. Are you closer to God now than you were last year at the beginning of Advent?
4. How will this new liturgical year impact your life?
5. Are you eager to be a saint?